Skip to main content

Depression

I am reading Linclon's Melalncholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness, by Joshua Wolf Shenk. Lincoln's depression was well-documented in his lifetime, and he had at least one, possibly two nervous breakdowns before he became President of the United States. Historians tiptoe around these facts, or ignore them completely. Historians go through phases in which it is trendy to view history through one kind of lens, and years later different historians may use another lens to view the same history. Throughout most of the 20th century, historians were prone to view "just the facts" while not attempting to interpret much beyond what could be verified, or ingoring what was not pertinent to the historical record. So, often, Lincoln's depression was viewed as irrelevant, with the result that those of us who were educated in the 20th century don't know a whole lot about Lincoln's "melancholy."

There is no way to know for sure if Lincoln was clinically depressed, but he did experience on-going depressive moods which began in his adult years and lasted all his life. There were times when he just had "the blues," and there were times when he would spend hours or days in despair, not able to function until the spell had passed. And there was at least once when he and others feared for his life when he had a nervous breakdown and was of a mind to harm himself.

These days derpession is often viewed as an illness or defect. When someone is "sick" with depression, they need treatment -- through therapy or medication. For those who suffer severe, ongoing, clinical depression, I am thankful when they are able to find relief through therapy or medication so that they can function and live their lives.

Many of us are not clinically depressed, but we do experience depression, or melancholy, from time to time. Lincoln did not view his depression as an illness or a defect, but accepted it as part of his personality. His goal was to see it as it was, and allow it to be a source of strength in his life. It is possible that the skills he used to work through his own stormy emotions gave him the patience, strength, wisdom, and tenacity to face the larger issues of his day, such as war and slavery. Studies in the late 20th century show that those who experience depressive moods from time to time are more likely to have realistic views of themselves, their abilities, and the people around them than those who are not prone to "melancholy."

Again, I am not talking about those who suffer from clinical depression and who find relief through treatment. I am addressing those of us out there who have personalities that are prone to experience melancholoy from time to time. There is nothing wrong with you. Each one of us must come to terms with who and what God created us to be, and with each person, each personality type, there comes certain strenghts and weaknesses. I encourage you to embrace both and learn to accept the reality of who you are. Lincoln's depression gave him the skills he needed to lead the nation through its darkest time. You are also equipped in special ways.

Scripture is filled with a wide variety of people and personality types. We know that Moses, Samuel, David, Elijah, and others went through blue periods, as did Peter, and Paul. It would be a stretch to say with certainty that they experienced depression, because we just don't know, but scripture does detail many an emotional struggle - powerful emotions. Just read the Psalms. Better yet, read the book that bears the name of my good friend Jeremiah. Yowza! These people were not deficient, or lacking, or abnormal. They were just people, like you and me. So, if nothing else, draw strength and comfort from the reality that you are not alone, and that God completely understands how you feel. And remember that your pastor loves you, and I am ready to listen whenever you feel like you are ready to talk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Own Woman

Kathryn is here now. She was born Sunday night, 5:57 p.m., and weighed 7 pounds, 10 oz., and measured 20.25 inches long. Kim was in labor since about 9:00 a.m. Saturday. After hours of waiting and miles of walking around that hospital, Kim never progressed beyond 6 cm. Every time we came close to making a decision about what to do next, it seems Kathryn would change the game on us and we would have to wait for another couple of hours to see what would happen next. We almost went to the OR at least twice before we finally did because Kathry would do this or that. She was letting us know she was in charge. After whe was born I stood with her in the nursery while they cleaned her up and checked her out. She cried for a while and then got real calm and collected. I watched her as she sized me up with her eyes, took a good look around the room, and then looked at me and kind of smirked knowingly. I got the distinct impression that she was very much amused by everything that had gone on the

Racing with Horses, Walking on Water, and Accepting My Weakness

I am tired of Hurricane Harvey. I am ready for all of this to be done and for things to settle down. I long for the routine, familiar, and predictable. I have had enough of trying to limit or mitigate the effects of Harvey on my family and property. I have become worn out trying to control and make sense of how my church is recovering from the hurricane. I am just about through with the ongoing, and seemingly never ending, management issues related to hundreds of volunteers funneling through my church on a weekly basis to assist our community in the recovery efforts. The logistics of making it all work week in and week out, the delicate dance of being the pastor to all the personalities involved, is exhausting. Add to this my broken heart for our community. I receive gut punches every day as I listen to the stories of evacuation, recovery, and rebuild. I steel myself to being able to do what I can each week and letting everything else go. I am sick of people saying the Lord will

A Eulogy for Dan Smith

One of my oldest and closest friends, Dan Smith, has lost his battle with cancer, but is now experiencing victory over death in the presence of the Lord. I am feeling so much as I write these words, but I want to capture some of what he meant to me…what he still means to me. I met Dan in August of 1989, the Fall Semester of our freshman year at Howard Payne University. We were both outsiders, of sorts, who were thrown together in one of those “get to know you” small groups they put you in at college boot camps. For some reason we clicked, and became pretty close very quickly. It must have been Dan’s cool Tom Selleck mustache. I couldn’t grow a mustache. For about two years we remained inseparable. Dan Smith taught me how to live in Christ. When I met Dan I was at a sort of crossroads in my life. I spent most of my teenage years as a juvenile delinquent, running from the Lord. By the time I wandered in to Brownwood to go to college I had stopped running and surrendered my life to Christ