Skip to main content

Burdened

This past Sunday we learned of the turning point in Jeremiah's career as a prophet to the kingdom of Judah. In Jeremiah 7, Yahweh sends him to the Temple to preach a sermon that would almost get him killed. The reforms of Josiah's reign were accomplished and popular, and everyone thought all was well. But Yahweh told Jeremiah to proclaim to the people that they were in danger because the reforms had changed the outward appearances, but had not changed their lives. They needed to repent or pay the consequences. When Jeremiah finished his sermon and offered the invitation as they sang every verse of "Just As I Am," the people responded by trying to kill him.

All of us who long to live lives of significance and relevance need to pay attention. Those of us who desire to stand in the gap between our Lord Jesus Christ and our families, our friends, and our culture should take notes. Jeremiah's experience shows us that not everyone will be receptive, and it is possible we will suffer as a result of "standing in the gap." And not just that vague "suffering for Jesus" that we hear about in church but don't really believe we will experience because we live in Texas, for Pete's sake, not Iran. But we are wrong. Notice, Jeremiah was not fighting for his life against the pagan Babylonians or Egyptians. These were God's people, in God's house. Jesus knew that it was near impossible for a prophet to find acceptance in his own home town. He learned that by reading the book of Jeremiah.

And still...Jeremiah never gave up on his people. Oh, he whined and complained incessantly to to Yahweh about those who came after him. But we also see a another side to Jeremiah. He knew that his people were wounded, and it would only get worse the longer they refused to repent. This wound broke his heart.

In 8:10-11 he writes of the false prophets, "all practice deceit. They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. "Peace, peace," they say, when there is no peace."
By ignoring the reality of the seriousness of sin and the urgent need for repentance, the false prophets could bring no healing to the people. Their denial made them irrelevant. They were of no consequence to the culture. They were useless. But popular.

In 8:21-9:1 Jeremiah demonstrates why he was the one the people should listen to, why he was the one living a life of relevance and consequence. He says, "Since my people are crushed, I am crushed; I mourn, and horror grips me. Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then is there no healing for the wound of my people? Oh that my head were a spring of water and my eyes a fountain of tears! I would weep day and night for the slain of my people."

Jeremiah was burdened, sick and broken-hearted over the spiritual condition of his people. He saw the truth and it devastated him. He could not keep silent, even though they tried to kill him to silence him, he could not stop from proclaiming the need for repentance and the reality of salvation. Is there any wonder why God chose Jeremiah?

Here is what you and I should think about - is the reason why God does not use us to impact our people, our families, our culture because we really don't care? Yes, I know we are all concerned for these folks, but when was the last time you mourned, were gripped with horror and wept day and night for them? Are we burdened to the point of pursuing people with passion and persistence, because we see them as worth fighting for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Own Woman

Kathryn is here now. She was born Sunday night, 5:57 p.m., and weighed 7 pounds, 10 oz., and measured 20.25 inches long. Kim was in labor since about 9:00 a.m. Saturday. After hours of waiting and miles of walking around that hospital, Kim never progressed beyond 6 cm. Every time we came close to making a decision about what to do next, it seems Kathryn would change the game on us and we would have to wait for another couple of hours to see what would happen next. We almost went to the OR at least twice before we finally did because Kathry would do this or that. She was letting us know she was in charge. After whe was born I stood with her in the nursery while they cleaned her up and checked her out. She cried for a while and then got real calm and collected. I watched her as she sized me up with her eyes, took a good look around the room, and then looked at me and kind of smirked knowingly. I got the distinct impression that she was very much amused by everything that had gone on the

Racing with Horses, Walking on Water, and Accepting My Weakness

I am tired of Hurricane Harvey. I am ready for all of this to be done and for things to settle down. I long for the routine, familiar, and predictable. I have had enough of trying to limit or mitigate the effects of Harvey on my family and property. I have become worn out trying to control and make sense of how my church is recovering from the hurricane. I am just about through with the ongoing, and seemingly never ending, management issues related to hundreds of volunteers funneling through my church on a weekly basis to assist our community in the recovery efforts. The logistics of making it all work week in and week out, the delicate dance of being the pastor to all the personalities involved, is exhausting. Add to this my broken heart for our community. I receive gut punches every day as I listen to the stories of evacuation, recovery, and rebuild. I steel myself to being able to do what I can each week and letting everything else go. I am sick of people saying the Lord will

A Eulogy for Dan Smith

One of my oldest and closest friends, Dan Smith, has lost his battle with cancer, but is now experiencing victory over death in the presence of the Lord. I am feeling so much as I write these words, but I want to capture some of what he meant to me…what he still means to me. I met Dan in August of 1989, the Fall Semester of our freshman year at Howard Payne University. We were both outsiders, of sorts, who were thrown together in one of those “get to know you” small groups they put you in at college boot camps. For some reason we clicked, and became pretty close very quickly. It must have been Dan’s cool Tom Selleck mustache. I couldn’t grow a mustache. For about two years we remained inseparable. Dan Smith taught me how to live in Christ. When I met Dan I was at a sort of crossroads in my life. I spent most of my teenage years as a juvenile delinquent, running from the Lord. By the time I wandered in to Brownwood to go to college I had stopped running and surrendered my life to Christ