Skip to main content

Favorite Music, pt. 3

I never thought I would use an iPod until I received one as a gift a couple of years ago. I have a 30 GB video iPod. I am able to start the music with the first song on a playlist and then have the music going as I drive, work in the yard, go for a walk, or whatever.

The iPod keeps a count of how many times each song is played. If you skip to another song, then it doesn't count. So, you have to play a song through completely in order for it to be counted.

So, here is the list of the 25 most played songs on my iPod. The number in parentheses is the number of times it has been played. Again, this list does not include classical music or hymns, which would dominate the list, except for a couple of hymns by Jars of Clay. Nor does it include Christmas music. I won't comment on the songs that were on my favorites list in the previous posting.

25. "Don't Take Your Guns to Town" by Johnny Cash (14). This is the story of young Billy Joe who thought he was due more excitement than what he could find on the family farm. So he gets himself ready and heads into to town to "be a man," but ignores his mother's advice and takes his guns with him, and this gets him into trouble when he gets into a confrontation with a cowboy who can shoot faster and straighter that Billie Joe can. This is a good reminder to contemplate the outcome of our confrontations.

24. "Two of Us" by The Beatles (14).

23. "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton (15). Um...I prefer this to the overwrought version by Whitney Houston years ago. I didn't realize that I like it this much.

22. "Speak, O Lord" by Keith and Kristyn Getty (16). The Getty's lead worship at Alister Begg's church in Cleveland, Ohio. They are Irish, and consider themselves to be modern hymn writers. Keith wrote the song in our Easter musical, "The Power of the Cross." This song is one they sing right before Alister preaches.

21. "Twin Guitar Special" by Bob Wills (16). Wills' Texas Swing music is the perfect soundtrack for driving across Texas, which I have done a lot lately.

20. "I'm Walkin'" by Fats Domino (16). Oh my... well, this is not the only time Fats appears on this list. I have no explanation. Must be my affection for New Orleans.

19. "Jesus, I Lift My Eyes" by Jars of Clay (17) This is from Redemption Songs, their reinterpretations of old hymns.

18. "The Stone" by Jars of Clay (17). From the City On A Hill worship cds. The Stone that the builders rejected has become our cornerstone.

17. "Whole Lotta Lovin'" by Fats Domino (17). Well...again I have no explanation as to why Fats has been played so often. I suppose I can't bring myself to skip the songs, they are so joyful.

16. "When the Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash (17). This is John's vision of the return of Jesus Christ, and it is a song filled with joy and terror. Not everyone will be treated the same on that day. Are you ready for it?

15. "Silence" by Jars of Clay (18). The lyrics here are angry and disillusioned, lashing out at God for His silence, and yet they still communicate a desperate need for God. The singer is not turning away from God in pain, but turning to Him, seeking Him. "Scream, deeper, I don't want to scream, I want You to hear me, I want You to find me. Because I want to believe, but all I claim is gone, and all I pray is wrong." God has a way of bringing us to the end of ourselves and emptying us out. And you know what we find there? God.

14. "Open Our Eyes Dear Savior" by Ginny Owens (18). This is another one off the City On A Hill worship cds. I believe Ginny is blind. She sings, "We want to know Your ways, revel Your heart to us. Open our eyes, dear Lord, your light is marvelous."

13. "Mandy" by Barry Manilow (18). Okaaaay....I almost left this off, so this is how you know I am being honest. I am speechless at this one. So, I'm not afraid to admit that I like this song, although I am not a Manilow fan by any stretch of the imagination. I had no idea that I listened to it this often. What can I say? Apparently when "Mandy" is played on my iPod, I'm going to listen to it.

12. "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash (18). This one is on the album released after his death, and was among the last songs he recorded. John answers the call of the Lord and speaks as a prophet to evil sinners, "You can run on for a long time, but sooner or later God will cut you down."

11. "Take A Chance On Me" by ABBA (19). I am so embarrassed. This is really the only disco song I like, and I'm not sure why I like this song, but it is fun. I think that ABBA comes first alphabetically on my playlists and when I am in a hurry I just start at the top, so that is why this song is played so often. That has to be it because I am incapable of dancing. I'm not opposed to dancing, I just can't.

10. "Sing" by Jars of Clay (19). A love song to the Lord, who makes us want to sing.

9. "Good Monsters" by Jars of Clay (20). The song asks, "Do you know what you are?" Then it suggests that we are the fullness of all the things we love, and we are so in love with ourselves.

8. "A Little More" by Jennifer Knapp (21). Jennifer is one of Kim's favorite Christian artists. She asks for grace, a little more than I can give, a little more than I deserve, unearth this holiness you have place within me.

7. "Never Finish" by Leigh Nash (23). Leigh used to be the singer for the Christian band Sixpence None the Richer, who are from the San Marcos area. In this song she ponders just how deeply she can love her husband and her son, and knows that "no matter how hard I try to get it, its the one thing I know I'll never finish."

6. "The Valley Song" by Jars of Clay (24). This song was a constant companion after Kim miscarried. Here are the lyrics:
You have led me to the sadness, i have carried this pain, on a back bruised, nearly broken, i'm crying out to You, i will sing of Your mercy that leads me through valleys of sorrow to rivers of joy

When death, like a gypsy, comes to steal what i love, i will still look to the heavens, i will still seek your face, but i fear You aren't listening, because there are no words, just the stillness and the hunger for a faith that assures, i will sing of Your mercy that leads me through valleys of sorrow to rivers of joy, alleluia

We wait for rescue, with our eyes tightly shut, face to the ground using our hands to cover the fatal cut, though the pain is an ocean tossing us around, around, around, You have calmed greater waters, higher mountains have come down, i will sing of Your mercy that leads me through valleys of sorrow to rivers of joy

5. "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" by Jars of Clay (24). A wonderful version of the old hymn.

4. "If I Stand" by Jars of Clay (25).

3. "You Move Me" by Susan Ashton (26). She says, "I can't go with You and stay where I am, so You move me." Praise God.

2. "40" by U2 (27). Based on Psalm 40. I love, "I will sing, sing a new song."

1. "Help Me" by Johnny Cash (29). John's desperate prayer to the Lord for help.

This exercise made be realize something that I had not before. Over the past year I would often turn to music to help me put words to what I was feeling or experiencing and to connect with the Lord during difficult times. The most-played songs helped me keep my sanity and faith when we lost the pregnancy, and helped me stay the course when our heats were broken when we realized our ministry in Sherman was over and during the confusion and impatience as we waited on the Lord to open the door to Rockport. I am thankful for the music available to us and how God can use it to speak into our lives.

Comments

Mr. Nauton said…
Great list, love the Beatles song, that's one not many know... but Dude, you lose a few man points for "Mandy"...
Bob said…
Barry Manilow?!?!? Disco?!?!?!?!? In the infamous words of Charlie Brown, "AAAAUUURRRRGGGGHHHHH!"

Popular posts from this blog

Her Own Woman

Kathryn is here now. She was born Sunday night, 5:57 p.m., and weighed 7 pounds, 10 oz., and measured 20.25 inches long. Kim was in labor since about 9:00 a.m. Saturday. After hours of waiting and miles of walking around that hospital, Kim never progressed beyond 6 cm. Every time we came close to making a decision about what to do next, it seems Kathryn would change the game on us and we would have to wait for another couple of hours to see what would happen next. We almost went to the OR at least twice before we finally did because Kathry would do this or that. She was letting us know she was in charge. After whe was born I stood with her in the nursery while they cleaned her up and checked her out. She cried for a while and then got real calm and collected. I watched her as she sized me up with her eyes, took a good look around the room, and then looked at me and kind of smirked knowingly. I got the distinct impression that she was very much amused by everything that had gone on the

Racing with Horses, Walking on Water, and Accepting My Weakness

I am tired of Hurricane Harvey. I am ready for all of this to be done and for things to settle down. I long for the routine, familiar, and predictable. I have had enough of trying to limit or mitigate the effects of Harvey on my family and property. I have become worn out trying to control and make sense of how my church is recovering from the hurricane. I am just about through with the ongoing, and seemingly never ending, management issues related to hundreds of volunteers funneling through my church on a weekly basis to assist our community in the recovery efforts. The logistics of making it all work week in and week out, the delicate dance of being the pastor to all the personalities involved, is exhausting. Add to this my broken heart for our community. I receive gut punches every day as I listen to the stories of evacuation, recovery, and rebuild. I steel myself to being able to do what I can each week and letting everything else go. I am sick of people saying the Lord will

A Eulogy for Dan Smith

One of my oldest and closest friends, Dan Smith, has lost his battle with cancer, but is now experiencing victory over death in the presence of the Lord. I am feeling so much as I write these words, but I want to capture some of what he meant to me…what he still means to me. I met Dan in August of 1989, the Fall Semester of our freshman year at Howard Payne University. We were both outsiders, of sorts, who were thrown together in one of those “get to know you” small groups they put you in at college boot camps. For some reason we clicked, and became pretty close very quickly. It must have been Dan’s cool Tom Selleck mustache. I couldn’t grow a mustache. For about two years we remained inseparable. Dan Smith taught me how to live in Christ. When I met Dan I was at a sort of crossroads in my life. I spent most of my teenage years as a juvenile delinquent, running from the Lord. By the time I wandered in to Brownwood to go to college I had stopped running and surrendered my life to Christ