Skip to main content

School

This week I am in Arlington, TX to attend a conference on "Culture or CROSS-Culture" and to attend my final orientation meetings before I register for school. The conference is hosted by my school, B. H. Carroll Theological Institute (BHCTI), and we will have our meetings at FBC Arlington. BHCTI is a newer institution you may not have heard much about yet. If you are interested in learning more, I encourage you to check out their website at www.bhcti.org.

There were a lot of reasons why I chose to pursue my doctorate at Carroll Institute, foremost among them the leadership of the Holy Spirit. But they are an innovative and non-traditional school which, I believe, is forging new ground in theological education which will allow many ministers and laypeople around the world to have access to quality education and training in ways unavailable to them before. For instance, my PhD program allows me to remain in full-time ministry in Rockport and further my education at the same time, without having to be in residence on some campus. And yes, it is a real PhD! The format is new and exciting, and is being scrutinized by many across the world.

My studies begin in January. I will "go to school" in three ways. First, I will have a supervisor/mentor who will guide me through my education from start to finish. He will assign me a personalized reading program and guide me in the preparation for the dissertation process. Second, I will take my seminars online, interacting with the professors and the other students via the Internet every week. Third, I will have to be in Arlington twice a year to conclude the online seminars and to attend conferences like the one I am attending this week. These conferences will usually be the first week in June and the week immediately following Thanksgiving. There may be other times when I will have to actually be somewhere, but not that often. For instance, this spring one of my seminars is only offered at Oxford University in England. A donor to the school has made it possible for us to go and study there for two weeks, both at Oxford and while traveling in England and Scotland. All I have to bring is spending money.

My field of study is in pastoral leadership. My desire is to be as equipped as I possibly can be to fulfill the duties of my calling as pastor of FBC Rockport. Secondly, I hope to be available in some way to help train and encourage other pastors and their churches.

Some in our church have expressed the desire to help fund the cost of my education, and for that I am sincerely thankful. Right now I can say that the costs will be $3000 a year, not including my books. As always, that is open to change at any time.

I know the Lord has brought me to this place, and I am excited about the opportunity before me, but I have been out of school a long time and I am nervous about starting up again. A few weeks ago I was studying in the library at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth and I looked around and noticed I was the only one there using pen and paper! Yikes! Thank you in advance for all your prayers and support as I begin this new chapter in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Own Woman

Kathryn is here now. She was born Sunday night, 5:57 p.m., and weighed 7 pounds, 10 oz., and measured 20.25 inches long. Kim was in labor since about 9:00 a.m. Saturday. After hours of waiting and miles of walking around that hospital, Kim never progressed beyond 6 cm. Every time we came close to making a decision about what to do next, it seems Kathryn would change the game on us and we would have to wait for another couple of hours to see what would happen next. We almost went to the OR at least twice before we finally did because Kathry would do this or that. She was letting us know she was in charge. After whe was born I stood with her in the nursery while they cleaned her up and checked her out. She cried for a while and then got real calm and collected. I watched her as she sized me up with her eyes, took a good look around the room, and then looked at me and kind of smirked knowingly. I got the distinct impression that she was very much amused by everything that had gone on the

Racing with Horses, Walking on Water, and Accepting My Weakness

I am tired of Hurricane Harvey. I am ready for all of this to be done and for things to settle down. I long for the routine, familiar, and predictable. I have had enough of trying to limit or mitigate the effects of Harvey on my family and property. I have become worn out trying to control and make sense of how my church is recovering from the hurricane. I am just about through with the ongoing, and seemingly never ending, management issues related to hundreds of volunteers funneling through my church on a weekly basis to assist our community in the recovery efforts. The logistics of making it all work week in and week out, the delicate dance of being the pastor to all the personalities involved, is exhausting. Add to this my broken heart for our community. I receive gut punches every day as I listen to the stories of evacuation, recovery, and rebuild. I steel myself to being able to do what I can each week and letting everything else go. I am sick of people saying the Lord will

A Eulogy for Dan Smith

One of my oldest and closest friends, Dan Smith, has lost his battle with cancer, but is now experiencing victory over death in the presence of the Lord. I am feeling so much as I write these words, but I want to capture some of what he meant to me…what he still means to me. I met Dan in August of 1989, the Fall Semester of our freshman year at Howard Payne University. We were both outsiders, of sorts, who were thrown together in one of those “get to know you” small groups they put you in at college boot camps. For some reason we clicked, and became pretty close very quickly. It must have been Dan’s cool Tom Selleck mustache. I couldn’t grow a mustache. For about two years we remained inseparable. Dan Smith taught me how to live in Christ. When I met Dan I was at a sort of crossroads in my life. I spent most of my teenage years as a juvenile delinquent, running from the Lord. By the time I wandered in to Brownwood to go to college I had stopped running and surrendered my life to Christ