Skip to main content

Indiana Jones

Let me begin by continuing my thoughts about the Oyster Fest Parade. Perhaps what I got a kick out of most was the band being pulled in a flatbed trailer as they sang "Jolene." Classy and family friendly. I'm not sure what is more unsettling, that they were singing that song or that I recognized it instantly.

So, I don't have the words to describe how excited I am about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I kid you not. I watched the preview for it the other day and I felt like I was 11 years old again. It was the same feeling I thought I would get when all the new Star Wars movies came out, but they were largely disappointing. But as soon as I saw Indy's shadow reach down and put on that familiar fedora, I was hooked.

I was 10, about to turn 11 when I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. When it was over my heart was beating so fast I didn't know what to do with myself. I hardly slept that night because I was so excited (and freaked out - those guys melted, and Beloq's head exploded!). I was astounded at Indy's resilience and tenacity. He was smart, he was courageous, his motives were (largely) pure, and even though he was constantly getting the snot kicked out of him, he was a hero I could get on board with. I wanted to get a bullwhip and learn how to speak Hovitos (I wasn't going to be caught like Indy was). When I turned 13 things went south for me in a big way, and my teenage years were times I have worked hard to leave behind.

I was 18 years old when Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade came out. I had just graduated from high school and was about to head to Brownwood, TX for college. This was supposed to be the last Indiana Jones movie, and everyone knew that going in. There I was, with one foot in the world of a teenager and the other foot about to be placed in the real world of adulthood and "the rest of your life," and for about two hours on a Friday night I could go back to feeling like I was 11 years old again. That was a good feeling -to move beyond the pain, regret, and stupidity of my teen years and reconnect emotionally to a time in my life when I was more hopeful, excited, and believed that an average joe could take on the Nazis and win, by the virtue of what was in his heart. My heart had become corrupt. I wanted it to become pure and child-like again. (And it has...it has just taken time.)

So I'm looking to escape for a little while on a Friday night this summer and go on one more adventure with Indiana Jones. What about you? What movie can you watch that makes you feel like a kid again? I would love to hear about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Own Woman

Kathryn is here now. She was born Sunday night, 5:57 p.m., and weighed 7 pounds, 10 oz., and measured 20.25 inches long. Kim was in labor since about 9:00 a.m. Saturday. After hours of waiting and miles of walking around that hospital, Kim never progressed beyond 6 cm. Every time we came close to making a decision about what to do next, it seems Kathryn would change the game on us and we would have to wait for another couple of hours to see what would happen next. We almost went to the OR at least twice before we finally did because Kathry would do this or that. She was letting us know she was in charge. After whe was born I stood with her in the nursery while they cleaned her up and checked her out. She cried for a while and then got real calm and collected. I watched her as she sized me up with her eyes, took a good look around the room, and then looked at me and kind of smirked knowingly. I got the distinct impression that she was very much amused by everything that had gone on the

Racing with Horses, Walking on Water, and Accepting My Weakness

I am tired of Hurricane Harvey. I am ready for all of this to be done and for things to settle down. I long for the routine, familiar, and predictable. I have had enough of trying to limit or mitigate the effects of Harvey on my family and property. I have become worn out trying to control and make sense of how my church is recovering from the hurricane. I am just about through with the ongoing, and seemingly never ending, management issues related to hundreds of volunteers funneling through my church on a weekly basis to assist our community in the recovery efforts. The logistics of making it all work week in and week out, the delicate dance of being the pastor to all the personalities involved, is exhausting. Add to this my broken heart for our community. I receive gut punches every day as I listen to the stories of evacuation, recovery, and rebuild. I steel myself to being able to do what I can each week and letting everything else go. I am sick of people saying the Lord will

A Eulogy for Dan Smith

One of my oldest and closest friends, Dan Smith, has lost his battle with cancer, but is now experiencing victory over death in the presence of the Lord. I am feeling so much as I write these words, but I want to capture some of what he meant to me…what he still means to me. I met Dan in August of 1989, the Fall Semester of our freshman year at Howard Payne University. We were both outsiders, of sorts, who were thrown together in one of those “get to know you” small groups they put you in at college boot camps. For some reason we clicked, and became pretty close very quickly. It must have been Dan’s cool Tom Selleck mustache. I couldn’t grow a mustache. For about two years we remained inseparable. Dan Smith taught me how to live in Christ. When I met Dan I was at a sort of crossroads in my life. I spent most of my teenage years as a juvenile delinquent, running from the Lord. By the time I wandered in to Brownwood to go to college I had stopped running and surrendered my life to Christ