Skip to main content

Exile

This past Sunday we looked at Jeremiah's letter to the Exiles living in Babylon, in Jeremiah 29. We learned how difficult exile conditions are and how we are prone to long for deliverance instead of the Deliverer. God told the Exiles to make homes for themselves and live their lives - live deeply, live well, live lives of faith trusting in Him - His presence, His power, and His plan.

At the time we are not able to see the end from the beginning. That is why we live by faith, not by sight. Things were bleak and hopeless for the Exiles from Judah. Many years before, the Assyrians had taken the citizens of the northern Kingdom of Israel into exile and relocated foreigners to the Promised Land. The Ten Tribes of Israel were scattered across the globe by the Assyrians and lost to the sands of time. Jewish communities did sprout up all over the world but they were scattered, disconnected, and only a shadow of the the people they once were. The Jews from Judah expected the same to happen to them.

The Persians conquered the Babylonians, and those of you familiar with Ezra and Nehemiah know that the Persians let the Jews go back to the Promised Land. Not everyone wanted to go, and not everyone did. But God did send back to the Land a faithful Remnant from whom Christ would come.

The Greeks rose to power and then the Romans. The Jews living in the remote parts of the Roman Empire could now travel back to Jerusalem to worship at the Temple rebuilt by Herod. So they came from all over the world - Jews from communities located in Asia, Asia Minor, North Africa, and from across Europe. They traveled in the safety of Roman protection; they traveled on Roman roads connecting the ends of the Empire together; they spoke and read a common language, Greek, in addition to the language of the lands in which they lived. They went to Jerusalem to worship.

On one particular occasion as the mass of travelers where in Jerusalem, a group of people stood up in their midst and began preaching to them about a man named Jesus, who they said was the Christ, who died on the cross and was now alive through the power of God. These travelers heard this Spirit-filled gospel message in their own languages. Some in the crowd thought the speakers were drunk until one of them, a fisherman who was obviously from Galilee stood up and set the record straight and called them to believe in Jesus. We know that over 3000 people did believe and then made their way back across the Empire.

Later, Christian missionaries, like Paul, would encounter these Jewish communities as they traveled. And in this way the gospel message spread across the world and you and I are believers today because of it. This is our heritage, our roots. You and I are rooted in the Exile.

What grand plan is God working out on the pages of human history right now in the midst of your exile conditions? You will know it and experience it when you choose to live by faith and not by sight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Her Own Woman

Kathryn is here now. She was born Sunday night, 5:57 p.m., and weighed 7 pounds, 10 oz., and measured 20.25 inches long. Kim was in labor since about 9:00 a.m. Saturday. After hours of waiting and miles of walking around that hospital, Kim never progressed beyond 6 cm. Every time we came close to making a decision about what to do next, it seems Kathryn would change the game on us and we would have to wait for another couple of hours to see what would happen next. We almost went to the OR at least twice before we finally did because Kathry would do this or that. She was letting us know she was in charge. After whe was born I stood with her in the nursery while they cleaned her up and checked her out. She cried for a while and then got real calm and collected. I watched her as she sized me up with her eyes, took a good look around the room, and then looked at me and kind of smirked knowingly. I got the distinct impression that she was very much amused by everything that had gone on the

Racing with Horses, Walking on Water, and Accepting My Weakness

I am tired of Hurricane Harvey. I am ready for all of this to be done and for things to settle down. I long for the routine, familiar, and predictable. I have had enough of trying to limit or mitigate the effects of Harvey on my family and property. I have become worn out trying to control and make sense of how my church is recovering from the hurricane. I am just about through with the ongoing, and seemingly never ending, management issues related to hundreds of volunteers funneling through my church on a weekly basis to assist our community in the recovery efforts. The logistics of making it all work week in and week out, the delicate dance of being the pastor to all the personalities involved, is exhausting. Add to this my broken heart for our community. I receive gut punches every day as I listen to the stories of evacuation, recovery, and rebuild. I steel myself to being able to do what I can each week and letting everything else go. I am sick of people saying the Lord will

A Eulogy for Dan Smith

One of my oldest and closest friends, Dan Smith, has lost his battle with cancer, but is now experiencing victory over death in the presence of the Lord. I am feeling so much as I write these words, but I want to capture some of what he meant to me…what he still means to me. I met Dan in August of 1989, the Fall Semester of our freshman year at Howard Payne University. We were both outsiders, of sorts, who were thrown together in one of those “get to know you” small groups they put you in at college boot camps. For some reason we clicked, and became pretty close very quickly. It must have been Dan’s cool Tom Selleck mustache. I couldn’t grow a mustache. For about two years we remained inseparable. Dan Smith taught me how to live in Christ. When I met Dan I was at a sort of crossroads in my life. I spent most of my teenage years as a juvenile delinquent, running from the Lord. By the time I wandered in to Brownwood to go to college I had stopped running and surrendered my life to Christ