Skip to main content

Miguelito con Cancun

Every bride is entitled to a shot at her dream wedding. I get that. Some brides dream bigger than others. Kim's sister has waited a long time for her bridal event, and she deserves every moment of happiness she can get. I wouldn't have missed her wedding for the world. It was unfortunate for us, for Michael really, that her wedding was in Cancun. Isla Mujeres, to be exact, an island 15 minutes off the coast of Cancun. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort on the north end of the island, and the wedding was at the northernmost tip of the island. It was gorgeous beyond description, with the turquoise Caribbean Sea on three sides of us. I enjoyed watching the minister perform the ceremony in his broken English, but he did it with great joy and compassion. They served a five course meal for us on the beach after the sun went down. We were surrounded by torches and candles, there was a light breeze, and the food was wonderful. Even Michael enjoyed staying up late for the wedding festivities.

I learned that all-inclusive Mexican resorts are not for everybody. They are certainly not for two-year old boys who live on the beach anyway, nor are they for Southern Baptist pastors. Michael enjoyed playing in the sand for a while. He also enjoyed playing in the water some. But he does that in Rockport on a regular basis. What Michael enjoyed more than anything was the golf cart. We rented a cart to drive the three miles to the other end of the island so that Michael could swim with a dolphin (he liked the dolphin some, but he got upset because he really wanted to play with the dolphin's basketball but no one would let him; no one teaches dolphins to share!). Kim drove the cart while I held Michael and navigated with a Mexican map. He enjoyed that cart more than anything else the whole time we were there.

As for me, well...if you don't drink the booze at an all-inclusive Mexican resort, then it is just another day at the beach. Which isn't bad, mind you, but when everyone else around you has had too much to drink, then the beach gets really tricky and annoying ("Please Mr. Drunk Old European Man, can you cover up your Speedo, if not for your own dignity than at least for the sake of my son?"). They had hammocks set up on the side of the island that was very rocky and had rough surf. I mainly relaxed there when Michael, Kim and I were not in the water.

Here is a picture from the hotel of the rocky shoreline. The little huts near the water are where they hung the hammocks.
We ended up staying in one of these villas. It was very nice even though you could not drink the water.

The hardest part of the trip was getting Michael through security and customs. Going into security I did not think Michael was a terrorist threat, but he was a force to be reckoned with. Our family looked like the Three Stooges going through security, but Michael eventually set everyone straight and they decided not to detain us.

Comments

Mark, Lindsey and Brynn are dying to see some pictures of Michael. It has been so long and we want to see how he has grown! I have been trying to blog this summer as a hobby, so check us out at http://www.blevinsfam.blogspot.com/

I really am more of a picture blogger, not so much on the writing. But anyway, e-mail some pictures sometime!

Lindsey, Mark, and Brynn

Popular posts from this blog

Her Own Woman

Kathryn is here now. She was born Sunday night, 5:57 p.m., and weighed 7 pounds, 10 oz., and measured 20.25 inches long. Kim was in labor since about 9:00 a.m. Saturday. After hours of waiting and miles of walking around that hospital, Kim never progressed beyond 6 cm. Every time we came close to making a decision about what to do next, it seems Kathryn would change the game on us and we would have to wait for another couple of hours to see what would happen next. We almost went to the OR at least twice before we finally did because Kathry would do this or that. She was letting us know she was in charge. After whe was born I stood with her in the nursery while they cleaned her up and checked her out. She cried for a while and then got real calm and collected. I watched her as she sized me up with her eyes, took a good look around the room, and then looked at me and kind of smirked knowingly. I got the distinct impression that she was very much amused by everything that had gone on the

Racing with Horses, Walking on Water, and Accepting My Weakness

I am tired of Hurricane Harvey. I am ready for all of this to be done and for things to settle down. I long for the routine, familiar, and predictable. I have had enough of trying to limit or mitigate the effects of Harvey on my family and property. I have become worn out trying to control and make sense of how my church is recovering from the hurricane. I am just about through with the ongoing, and seemingly never ending, management issues related to hundreds of volunteers funneling through my church on a weekly basis to assist our community in the recovery efforts. The logistics of making it all work week in and week out, the delicate dance of being the pastor to all the personalities involved, is exhausting. Add to this my broken heart for our community. I receive gut punches every day as I listen to the stories of evacuation, recovery, and rebuild. I steel myself to being able to do what I can each week and letting everything else go. I am sick of people saying the Lord will

A Eulogy for Dan Smith

One of my oldest and closest friends, Dan Smith, has lost his battle with cancer, but is now experiencing victory over death in the presence of the Lord. I am feeling so much as I write these words, but I want to capture some of what he meant to me…what he still means to me. I met Dan in August of 1989, the Fall Semester of our freshman year at Howard Payne University. We were both outsiders, of sorts, who were thrown together in one of those “get to know you” small groups they put you in at college boot camps. For some reason we clicked, and became pretty close very quickly. It must have been Dan’s cool Tom Selleck mustache. I couldn’t grow a mustache. For about two years we remained inseparable. Dan Smith taught me how to live in Christ. When I met Dan I was at a sort of crossroads in my life. I spent most of my teenage years as a juvenile delinquent, running from the Lord. By the time I wandered in to Brownwood to go to college I had stopped running and surrendered my life to Christ